Monday, July 14, 2014

Ironman 70.3 Muncie - DNF

In looking through my race log this morning, I see that I have participated in:

20 - 5K races
5 - 5-mile races
5 - 6 mile races
4 - 10K races
1 - 7.5 mile race
1 - 9.3 mile race
1 - 10 mile race
1 duathlon (13 miles)
2 short (26 total miles) triathlons
18 half marathons
8 marathons
2 half ironman triathlons

I finished every one of those races...until Saturday.  I took my first ever DNF (did not finish) at Ironman 70.3 Muncie, including a trip to the medical tent and a subsequent trip to the emergency room.  Now I find myself at a crossroads - unsure of where this leaves me in my goal of competing in Ironman Louisville.

Ready to go

Athlete briefing


A packed transition area

Kelly, Paul, Dale, and Melinda

Don't really need a swim cap - especially a pink one that's way too tight

Everything leading up to the race went as expected - nothing seemed out of the ordinary.  As soon as my swim wave went off, nothing felt right.  I had no power in my arms, and I just couldn't get a deep breath.  I muddled through alternating freestyle and breast stroke (partly to avoid people crossing over me, partly to sight, and partly to try and catch my breath).  In the last 500 meters or so, I even rolled onto my back for a few strokes to try and find some air.  It just didn't happen.

I exited the swim and headed up into T-1 and saw Amy.  She knew my swim time was very slow and asked how I felt - I think my response was "I feel like s*?t".  I thought that once I got onto the bike (my strongest of the three disciplines), I would settle down.  I switched gear, grabbed my bike, and headed onto the course.

By the time we got to mile 10, I knew I was in trouble in terms of finishing.  My legs had no power either.  Whereas I would normally be riding a 19-20mph average on this course, it took everything I had just to keep up a 14 mph pace.  It was to the point that I was checking to see if I had a brake pad locked on one of my wheels.  I just had nothing to give.  Right around this same time I took a drink from my aero bottle (Gatorade Endurance Formula) and promptly threw it up.  I sat up out of the aero position to try and get more air into my lungs, but it didn't help.


By mile 15 of the bike, I had pretty much decided that I was done for the day.  The course was 2 loops, so I planned to reevaluate when I came back to the turnaround.  When the time came, I turned right instead of left and that was it - I was officially out (once I finished the 6-7 mile ride back to transition).  I ended up completing 30 miles of the bike.

The end to a bad day

Once I got to transition I figured I would go get checked by medical since I just couldn't get a breath.  I had been checking my pulse to see if I was in atrial fibrillation (something I've managed since 2008), but I seemed to be in sinus rhythm.  Because I was the only person in medical, I got lots of attention, very quickly.  The end result was that they could hear fluid in my left lung, and it was off to the emergency room for us.

Headed to the ER

Kelly wondering why she just saw me drive by her

Security helped Amy get her car out of the lot, I got a ride in a Gator from the local police, and we were on our way - on the race course - to the ER.  Once there, I had an EKG, a variety of blood tests, and a chest x-ray, all of which were negative.  I got discharged around 2 PM and made it back to the race area in time to see one friend finish the race and pack up my gear from the transition area.





So there is no explanation for what went wrong - I think maybe I am/was sick which affected my breathing and kept me from exchanging enough oxygen to provide full power.  At least I hope that's it.


As for Louisville - I just don't know.  I yo-yo between "get back on the horse" and "I'm done."  I have very serious, persistent doubts about my ability to finish the race, and I am unsure whether I will continue at this point.




No comments:

Post a Comment