Monday, January 20, 2014

Gearing Up the Bike

This week's GoPro test video:



It's mid-January.  The days are short, the nights are long, and the temperatures are low.  As far as training goes, there's not much to see here this week (oops).

M:   Rest (Adam's birthday)
T:    Bike - 18 miles (trainer)
W:   Rest (school meeting)
T:    5.6 miles (Forest Park loop)
F:    Rest (lazy)
Sa:  Run - 10 miles (Tower Grove park)
Su:  Bike - 12 miles (Grant's Trail)

I'm guilty of missing a few workouts this week, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.  However, I was able to complete the latest cycle of the Icy Iron put on by my tri club (scoring a gift card to my local bike shop).  In the Icy Iron, you must complete the Ironman distance in swimming (2.4 miles), biking (112 miles), and running (26.2) over a specific six week period.  Despite the holidays and a confirmed case of Influenza A, I was able to complete the cycle, logging  3.84 swim miles, 135 bike miles, and 50.85 run miles.

One of the highlights of the week was Sunday when the temperature was good enough (and my schedule was clear) to allow me to get on my tri bike for the second time ever for a quick 12 mile ride.  (I have been riding my road bike on the trainer this winter).  

For Ironman Louisville, I will be riding a Cervelo P2.  This bike and I just seemed to click while shopping the different models.  When you're 6'5", there's not a lot of options out there for you, and it didn't take me long to settle on this beauty.


From my two rides, I can tell that we still have work to do to get to know each other better.  My feet were a bit sore in the new shoes/pedals, and my neck and shoulders need to get better acquainted with the angles on this bike which are a lot more aggressive than my road bike.

One of the important things I need to do as I get ready for training and race season is to determine what gear I will be using.  I have already settled on Shimano TR52 shoes and Shimano 105 pedals.















I'm still researching the hydration system I'll use and whether I want to use an aero helmet during the race.  I might rent Zipp wheels for race day, but am undecided.  For the hydration system, I'm looking at the Xlab Carbon Sonic system which is made specifically for the aero seat post used on the Cervelo P2.  For the front, I'm considering the Profile Design Aero HC.





For the helmet, I'm thinking about the Giro Air Attack or the Louis Garneau Vorttice Black Knight if I really want to push it.  I have a tendency to look down while riding, so a helmet with a tail probably isn't a good idea unless I can break that bad habit.  Does anyone have opinions on helmets?  (Gretchen - I'm looking at you...I think you ride with an aero helmet, don't you?)
Finally on the nutrition front, I have been clipping recipes or ideas from some triathlon newsletters or magazines that I receive.  I will pass along those that are good or have been helpful for me.  We tried the mushroom and swiss frittatas this week, which are essentially mushrooms, onions, eggs, and rice cooked in a muffin tin.  They were quick to make and reheat well from the freezer.  Variations on this will probably be a staple for me this summer.  Here's a link to the recipe.  


Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment